- Contact all relevant authorities to notify of your new address.
- Return all library books, DVD's etc.
- Arrange transfer of bank accounts, internet, telephone, gas, electricity connections.
- Fill prescriptions needed the week before and after the move.
- Service your car, drain the lawnmower.
- Arrange final readings of gas and electricity meters, remove batteries.
- Discontinue any delivery services, newspapers, automated payment plans and local memberships. Collect dry cleaning.
- Leave a note or small gift for new residents.
- Create a packet for new residents with owner's manuals and warranties for appliances.
- Regard moving as an opportunity to get rid of belongings you no longer need. Consider making ”donate” and “sell” piles in each room for things you could do without.
- People have a tendency to keep outdated paperwork for a very long time. Realise that paper is very heavy . Do yourself a favour and get rid of any outdated documents prior to moving..
- Make sure you have a generous supply of packaging tape, scissors, markers and labels.
- Defrost your refrigerator in time for moving day.